Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I have a favorite scripture.

Well, I have many favorite scriptures, but today it is this one. Actually, this scripture became a favorite on my mission. We would show the short restoration DVD to people and I loved the scene where little Joseph saw a toy wooden horse that he wanted in the store, but they were too poor to buy it. Then, his dad carved one for him. Cute dad. Like my dad.  So, the movie quotes the last part of this scripture when his dad is giving him the toy.

3 Nephi 14:8-11

"For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened. 

Or what man is there of you, who, if his son ask bread, will give him a stone?

Or is he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"

It's beautiful, isn't it? I think this scripture refers to our trust in God. When I was a child, my parents took great care of me. I trust them and know that I can count on them for anything at any time of day or night and at any stage in my life. But they aren't perfect; they aren't God. Why is it sometimes hard to trust God and to trust that the things he allows to happen in our lives are for our good? Perhaps because his isn't tangibly here every day like my mom and dad are. And perhaps there are things that have happened in my life that I have yet to understand how they were for my good. But the scriptures contain countless examples of the workings of God in the lives of men that I can rely on. 

And if the Savior himself tells me in the Book of Mormon that the Father gives good things to them that ask him, I can trust that. I can trust that everything in my life will work together for my good. 

Even when I have to leave the ward and the primary class and the neighbors that I love.

Even when I have to pack up my entire house and store it all in my in-laws basement for four months.

Even when I have to be homeless for two weeks. Ok, not homeless really, just I won't be living in my home. And one of those weeks will hopefully involve a road trip to Oregon. And that I'm excited for!


1 comment:

Mark and Marci said...

Wow Jenny! I haven't talked to you for so long! So much has changed and it sounds like you are going through a lot of changes yourself. I know just how you feel packing up and being "homeless" for awhile. I've been at my parents' for about six weeks and I'm moving to Virginia next week. I also have a second kid now. Keep your blog updated so I know what you're up to and I'll try to do the same. Good luck with everything.

Marci